Dayco has an exciting job opportunity for you to work as a Product Development Engineer. Dayco is a global leader in the research, design, manufacturing, and distribution of essential engine products, drive systems and services for automobiles, trucks, construction, agriculture, and industry. We’re looking for someone to support our team with development of innovative products to expand our product lines relative to current, next generation and new products.
The Product Development Engineer role is an exciting opportunity for you to work in an independent environment with guidance from management, while providing guidance to more junior engineers.
Your additional responsibilities will include:
- Building a strong engineering relationship with suppliers and customers (Production & Advanced).
- Representing Dayco to the external customer as the technical expert on current, improved, and next generation products.
- Interfacing with the Customer to define product/system design requirements.
- Gathering and developing concepts (basic functional attributes, benefits, and market demand information) for strategic management consideration as potential products for product line expansion based on input from various market sources (news reports, trade publications, conferences, customers, sales, applications engineering, etc.)
- Researching patents to understand the technology in the industry and develop patent-able or trade secret ideas for new products. Applications for patents are a required part of the job to protect Dayco’s position in the marketplace.
- Developing products through the concept phases from “idea” to prove functionality & initial durability to proven robust durability.
- Leading efforts toward continuous improvement of current product lines.
- Specifying and coordinating procurement of prototypes/samples required for validation.
- Coordinating cross-functional design reviews.
- Participating and supporting APQP activities with Dayco cross-functional teams.
- Developing product/system specific FMEAs and related verification plans (DVP).
- Driving continuous improvement of the baseline FMEA as well as design specifications.
- Developing design guidelines, design specifications, design analysis tools, FMEAs, and test procedures for improved, next gen, and new products.
- Coordinating application specific design validation tests and report results to customers as required.
- Driving continuous improvement of validation testing methods.
- Keeping the external customer apprised of Dayco’s latest continuous improvement, cost reduction, and product enhancement activities.
- Maintaining an awareness of competitive activity and industry trends and thereby identify future product needs to maintain and grow Dayco’s position in the market.
- Evaluating competitor products by inspection and comparative testing with regards to design, performance and cost to determine capability of the competition and as a means of generating new and innovative Dayco products.
- Communicating capital needs to management (and to Project team for project specific CapEx).
Required Qualifications of the Development Engineer:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineer or related field
- 3+ years of Development Engineering experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Mechanical Aptitude
- Logical thought processes
- Proficient in GD&T
- Proficient in CAD – Solid Works/CREO
- Requires a thorough understanding of mechanical engineering principles and problem-solving techniques (DOE, Robust Design, etc.)